For a few weeks, myself and a few like minded music lovers have been sharing and talking about dub infused and influenced music.
So it only seems the natural progression to begin a mixtape podcast.
Simply, a selection of records is complied by someone other than myself, and I create a mixtape as the selector intended. No fancy mixing, just the music, back to back, giving it breathing space and allowing it to shine.
Catch us most nights on twitter via #duskdubs ... see what has gone before what is being selected now, and feel free to contribute. The only rule, that your selection has a dub soul....whatever form that may be.
First up is the very knowledgeable man that goes by the name of Original Gidman. This man knows his stuff, and his library of music, mixes and radio shows is something to be in awe of.
Find him here :
Below is the tracklist, and a word from the man himself about each record.
1. Black Panta By The Upsetters - Classic Dub from Lee "Scratch" Perry found on the 'Blackboard Jungle' album from 1973 ... The Opening "call" later sampled by The Orb.
2. The Congos - Congoman (Remix 1) - Another classic produced by Lee "Scratch" Perry, this version was remixed by the don Carl Craig and released back in 2003. A great example of how to dub out a classic reggae track for the electronic age.
3. Rockers Hi-Fi - Sexy Selector - Take from "Richard Dorfmeister Presents...A Different Drummer Selection" compilaion on the Different Drummer Label. Love the way these guys make modern dub.
4.Quiet Village - Pacific Rhythm - A brilliant balearic anthem with dub influences, from the "Silent Movie" album released in 2008 by Joel Martin and Matt Edwards.
5.Rae & Christian - Swimming Pool - This can be found on their 1st album "Northern Sulphuric Soul" (1998) on Manchester's Grand Central Records.... love the swirling synths on this one.
6. R.P.M - Food For My De-Rhythm - A classic from the Mo Wax stable from 1993.... love the dubbed out breaks on this one riddim.
7. Cesaria Evora – Angola (Carl Craig Remix)- Released in 2005 and again Carl Craig takes the african vibes into the Techno/Acid arena.
8. Mala - Noches Sueños (Mala & Simbad Super Dub Mix) - Released on Gilles Peterson's eclectic Brownswood Recordings, this remix by Mala & Simbad layers a heavyweight bottom end in hommage to the dub pioneers..... BOOOOOOOOM
9. Burial - Kindred - One of the most recently released tracks on the compilation. Created by the mecurial producer that is Burial and released on Kode9's label Hyperdub Records, this track is built around hisses & crackles that transports the listener into a hazy smoke filled 'Dub Shack'... awesome.
10. CV313 - Seconds Forever - Love this Techno/Dub vibe that the Echospace label from Detroit create using analog equipment.... quality.
11. Lowtec - Carbon Copy - This one was released this year on Ramp Recordings sub label Brainmath and creates some great bottom end in a broken dub/house syle.
12.Special Forces - Trilogy - The Final track is from Special Forces AKA Photek again from the Mo Wax label. This epic 13 minute was originally released back in 1996..... NUFF SAID.