Stepping up this week, we have Dave Faze and Andrea Nibbers. Outside of the‘Dub Wars’ ring these men are good friends, and are known for their musical knowledge and expansive record collections. However, all this means nothing, as these two musical heavyweights go toe to toe, trading musical jabs, punches and maybe even a knock-out in this weeks #DuskDubs soundclash....
When Dusk Dubs invited me to go toe to toe as part of Dubwars with my good friend Nibbers, I was both buzzing yet filled with some trepidation as I consider Nibbers to be the finest selector I know across genres.If you have been to his house and seen his vinyl collection you know what I mean! The guys is a proper music lover and with a passion that is unmatched anywhere! It is a real honour to asked back again to explore my musical passions with you all.
This time going head to head with Nibbers, I found the process very exciting and once we got going the selections were coming think and fast; each exploring music on an emotional level (this is the essence for me!) digging deep into our musical heritage. As you can see, I begin this journey and wanted to match the big man track for track,my selections were not pre-selected and had to be in keeping with what Nibbers had selected after me which was the most exciting aspect of this taking part in the project,many of my selections I’d not heard in years and bought back some great memories.Big up the Dusk Dubs family.
I feel a selection is very personal and tells a story with a sense, a very personal one too. Sometimes, the journey through your music is a long research, sometimes it’s a series of progressive stepping stones leading to unknown and surprising destinations. Embarking a musical journey with a friend, it’s another experience altogether but equally exciting. I think of it as a journey through memories, feelings and emotions.
The tracks I have selected reflect exactly that but they are part of me, some are well known, some less so but they make sense to me and hopefully they make sense to you too.
As I did for my first Dusk Dubs selection, I have tried to capture an evocative feel of dub, more than dub in its traditional sense. Dub is a broad church anyway and I have never felt comfortable preaching a single God. So there you go, once again open your ears and listen with an open mind, who knows you might enjoy the journey too.
1) They Came In Peace - Tranquility Bass - (Selected by Dave Faze)
2) Cool Down The Pace - Gregory Isaacs - (Selected by Nibbers )
3) Your Teeth In My Neck - Scientist - (Selected by Dave Faze)
4) Phil France - The Swimmer - (Selected by Nibbers)
5) Rusty Break - Boxcutter - (Selected by Dave Faze)
6) Onyricon - Sweet Dream (On Air Mix) - (Selected by Nibbers)
7) Cliffs (Wisp 1043 Mix) - Aphex Twin - (Selected by Dave Faze)
8) James Bong - Mr. Kiss Kiss Bong Bong (Big Brother's Dubbing You Full On / Full Length Remix) – (Selected by Nibbers)
9) It Could Be Sweet - Portishead – (Selected by Dave Faze)
10) Level 42 - Dune Tune – (Selected by Nibbers)
11) Food For Thought - UB40 – (Selected by Dave Faze)
12) Kool & the Gang - Summer Madness - (Selected by Nibbers)
13) Tears - Frankie Knuckles - (Selected by Dave Faze)
14) John Martyn - Sunshine's Better (Talvin Singh Remix) – (Selected by Nibbers)
1) They Came In Peace - Tranquility Bass - (Selected by Dave Faze) In keeping with the Duskdubs chilled out vibe and a perfect introduction track to begin the journey with, They Came in Peace has a nice jazzy laid back vibe to it which I hope you enjoy…classic Mo’Wax business! What you got Nibbers?
2) Cool Down The Pace - Gregory Isaacs - (Selected by Nibbers ) Reggae meets the Balearic sound. A Great tune that I first discovered courtesy of my mate Myles. It’s a delicate and gentle tune that keeps you nodding whilst putting a big grin on your face.
3) Your Teeth In My Neck - Scientist - (Selected by Dave Faze) Back to my dub roots with this killer cut from Scientist’s 1981 dub classic ‘Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires’ on Greensleeves. What a riddim for a clash! Vocals by Michael Prophet inna killer combination with Scientist…bring it!
4) Phil France - The Swimmer - (Selected by Nibbers) A sublime piece of music where the melancholy of the piano riff is the perfect complement to the beautiful ambient composition. The whole LP is a masterpiece.
5) Rusty Break - Boxcutter - (Selected by Dave Faze) Switching up the vibes with this dubby bassline breakbeat monster from Boxcutter….lovely track with some deep trippy atmospherics thrown in for good measure…love this style! Clash business!
6) Onyricon - Sweet Dream (On Air Mix) - (Selected by Nibbers) The genius and the deep sensitiveness of a Balearic master and legend, whose name is Leo Mas. Leo has been rocking crowds since the mid 80s. Regarded as one of the daddies of the Balearic scene, playing alongside the legendary Alfredo at Amnesia, when Ibiza was the retreat for hippies and the odd celebrity and not that commercial fest that is these days. Aficionado Recordings, the label that signed this nugget, is responsible for putting out some of the best music available. Go and check it
7) Cliffs (Wisp 1043 Mix) - Aphex Twin - (Selected by Dave Faze) Taken from Wisp’s Remix EP of Selected Ambient Works Vol.2 by the legendary Aphex Twin…for me it has it all.. stunning production, ambient breaks vibe with a deep bassline…stunner!
8) James Bong - Mr. Kiss Kiss Bong Bong (Big Brother's Dubbing You Full On / Full Length Remix) – (Selected by Nibbers) This is another classic tune from, in my opinion, the best compilation ever: Kruder & Dorfmeister – DJ Kicks. Deep and funky sound, perfectly representing the ethos of Dusk Dubs. Timeless tune.
9) It Could Be Sweet - Portishead – (Selected by Dave Faze) Beautiful track from the legendary album Dummy by Portishead which won the Mercury Music prize in 95. This was my post club soundtrack with every tune from the LP a masterpiece…Beth Gibbons on vocals is on different level...lovely vibes.
10) Level 42 - Dune Tune – (Selected by Nibbers) A gem forgotten and overshadowed (wrongly in my opinion) by other popular tunes off the first Level 42 LP. Mark King simple arpeggio on the bass creates a laid back atmosphere that takes your imagination to some remote exotic place. Subtle tune for those who listen to.
11) Food For Thought - UB40 – (Selected by Dave Faze) Back to 1980 with UB40’s first release taken from the album ‘Signing Off’ and for me takes me back to my childhood where my mum used to rinse this particular tune so it holds special place…perfect track for a clash in my opinion and in keeping with 80’s vibe of Nibbers’ last track.
12) Kool & the Gang - Summer Madness - (Selected by Nibbers) The perfect B side that you wouldn’t expect, especially if compared to that disco poppy tune that is Get Down On It. One for the fusion /jazz heads. Great piece of music, cheap as chips too.
13) Tears - Frankie Knuckles - (Selected by Dave Faze) My killer final track for the clash…it does doesn’t get any bigger than Tears by Frankie Knuckles ….vibes beyond belief! RIP Frankie!!
14) John Martyn - Sunshine's Better (Talvin Singh Remix) – (Selected by Nibbers) Gorgeous tune, classic Café Del Mar (Vol 5) tackle selected by another genius at work: Jose Padilla. I have tracked down the vinyl to play this beautiful tune in his entire 12 minutes edit. John Martyn’s melancholic lyrics ride over this epic journey through a spaced out and chilled landscape. Talvin Singh’s masterclass.