This week we welcome producer and DJ Sicknote to the Dusk Dubs family, with a personal reflection of the music that has influenced him over the years.
Sicknote is the alias for Lewis Joyce’s solo work as a DJ, producer and recording artist - he is dedicated to the original art form and a vinyl and dubplate fanatic. Sicknote also has ongoing collaborations with Dissect, Sweetpea, Escher and Justice.
"These are some selections from my vinyl collection that like to listen to from my collection that bring back memories of good times. The tracks that make your hair stand on end, you know the ones.” [[ Sicknote ]]
You can find him HERE:
1) 2814 - Before The Rain (Taken from 'Rain Temple' - Dream_777)
Was put onto this album through Rico at work, first listen I was blown away and instantly went and bagged the vinyl. Before the rain is one of my favourite tracks from the album, this track proper takes you on a journey, flying through a blade runner type metropolis.
2) Sade - Sweetest Taboo (Taken from 'Promise' – EPIC86318
Love this track and album. So many good Sade tracks but this is one of my favourites.
The mix on this is amazing. All the panning on the guitar and the way at one point they make the vocals move round like she is almost whispering in your ear. So good!
3) Rufus & Chaka Kahn - Ain't Nobody (Warner Bros Records)
I have picked this track mostly because it reminds of being a at home with my parents and also party's we had with family. This was always a track that would get played and still love it to this day.
4) Dilinja – Accurist (Test Recoridngs -TEST002 Misspress)
On the mispress of hardnoise/fluid. Remember finding out about this through my friend Ben and instantly went and bagged a copy. Second drop on this one is big!
5) Emptyset - Origin (Taken from 'Emptyset' – Recur – R-N151-2)
This whole album is dark! Full frequency assault from start to finish.
6) Transllusion - Dimensional Glide (Taken From 'Opening of The Cerebral Gate' – TRESOR270)
Love this track was hard to pick one from this album to be honest. I remember pre-selling this one in at work when I started in sales and it getting played in the office and everyone being excited about the repress. And have been hooked on that Drexyia vibe since.
7) WK7 – Avalanche (Power House Records – PH202)
Shed under one of his aliases. Remember going to Hardwax and buying this and another 12" from the same label. Hard hitting house music this.
8) Foul play - Dubing You (Oblivion Records – OR002)
Foul play vol 2 what a 12". Only recently fully appreciated these records and this track is a favourite.
9) Martyn - Cutting Tone (Taken from 'Voids' – OSTGUTLP29)
This tune is proper sick. Is like drum and bass garage and techno all in one.
10) Appleblim And Peveralist – Circles (Skull Disco – SKULL:08)
I remember my mate Ben dropping this on me whilst having a mix and me pulling one of those faces, you know the ones! Proper moody dubstep almost verging on dub techno
11) Special request – Capsules (Taken from 'Soul Music' – HTH012)
Been a massive fan of the Special Request stuff, soul music was a sick album and this is a favourite from the album.
12) Pessimist – Spirals (Taken from 'Pessimist' – BLACKESTLP017)
Really into what Pessamist is doing at the moment and his album on blackest ever black is killer. This is a favourite from that album
13) Mini Riperton - Inside My Love (Taken from 'Adventures In Paradise' – SN-16146)
Beautiful track from some one that died way to young. Amazing voice
14) Dexter Wansel - Rings of Saturn (Taken from 'Life On Mars' – PZ 340279)
Personal favourite from the man like Dexter. Big fan of all his stuff and went on a mission to buy all his records when I first heard his music.
15) Jeff mills – Alarms (Taken from 'Kat Moda EP' – PM-002)
The wizard! Everyone picks the bells from this 12”, which is an amazing tune but alarms is also just as banging.
16) Channel one – Technicolour (Metroplex – M-003)
Classic from Juan Atkins, this one is a favourite from his Metroplex label.
17) Virginia – Funkert (Taken from 'Virginia' – Fierce For the Night – OSTGUTLP22)
Love this album. So, so good. Played this on repeat for a long time when it came out. This is the single from the album, which is killer. There is a instrumental mix on the 12 sampler as well.
18) Joy Orbison – Off Season (Hinge Finger - HINF8679)
Wicked tune this one bit of a DJ tool / club banger, I like the weird off beat edits on this one.
19) Alexander O’neil – Criticize (Taken from 'Hearsay' – Tabu Records)
Another track that reminds me of my parents mostly my mum, I remember this being played along with others. Great album, amazing production. 80s at its best!